I have been playing role of Project Manager off and on, it was my goal to focus on project management and prove my managerial skills in handling huge & versatile projects. That has not always been facile.
The first impediment I faced was how to present myself as a Project Management professional.
While I have a diverse background with vigorous project management skills, relying on just a resume, especially in today's economy didn't seem sufficient so I decided to get certified. One of my friend suggested that PMP (Project Management Professional) is the most desired certification. I enrolled myself and took the exam, but sadly I failed to clear the exam in spite of putting good efforts.
Then I tried to understand more about the certification and its relevance to my career path and my field of specialization. Dolefully the certification I have culled was not apt for my field.
It was puzzle for me did I waste my time and money on a certification that might not mean anything? Of course I acquired knowledge.
This wasn't enough for me. I took further step to do a small research on do we need certification in career?
First thing I did was examining the people in the positions which I relish to aim for. Obviously, the best places to search are LinkedIn and the company job listings. I checked what kind of certifications they have and whether they are titles given by becoming a member of professional groups or exam based certifications.
After few interactions with few people and reading blog & articles, I learnt that
- You need them because companies make it mandatory for certain jobs.
- You are ought to take up certification because they are position specific.
- You need it to beat the competition around and to stand out in the crowd.
- You have the real urge for the knowledge
- The most significant benefit is in the pay check it brings (if only a specific certification matters to the place you work)
- Last but not the least , they show that you are on learning curve and capable of retaining ( you have renew your certifications once in 3 or 5 years based on the organization that certifies) and committed to career path you have chosen.
So my take is Yes Certifications Can Avail You Get a Job...As Long as you choose the right certification.
And for the people, who do not want to take up, don’t worry still you can make great career, for inspiration have a look at these top people.
- Mr. Anil Manibhai Naik - Group Executive Chairman of Larsen & Toubro Limited has degree in mechanical engineering from the prestigious Birla Viswakarma Mahavidyalaya Engineering College. His hard work ,commitment ,passion towards career and his best managerial skills has made him one of the India’s Best CEOs and bagged him with outstanding business leader awards.
- Mr. N.Chandrasekaran - Chief Executive Officer, TCS has completed Masters in Computer Applications from the REC , Trichy is highest paid CEO in India’s IT sector and received Honorary doctorate for his significant contributions toward business and society from Netherlands and is one the top India's CEOs ,2014
- Mr Kapil Mehan, Managing Director,Coromandel International is one of the best CEO Agriculture & Allied (Large Companies) holds a Post Graduate Diploma in Management from IIM, Ahmedabad
- Mrs. Chanda Kochhar, MD& CEO of ICICI, is honoured with Padma Bhushan Award and ranked as the most powerful business woman in India in Forbes list. She holds Masters Degree in Management Studies from Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai.
and the list goes on..
The world gives you plenty of opportunities to make your dreams come true.
keep the fire in you burning and follow you passion..